Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Monument in Sta. Rosa


Col. Basilio Barroma Gonzales (1868-1946)
Organizer of the Original Katipunero Magdalo Faction of Sta. Rosa, Laguna group that fought in Cavite sector 1896-1897 under General Emilio Aguinaldo against the Spanish Forces and their indigenous allies and the final battle for the liberation of this town that led to the establishment on 28 May 1898 of the town of Sta. Rosa, Laguna. And a monument in his honor was built in the town plaza.


I found out about the monument of Col. Basilio Gonzales near Mercury drug store. It is located in the middle of many stores so it is not easily noticed.
I was disappointed because many people do not know him. Honestly me and my family also don not know him. We never heard about him. We know only about Jose Rizal.
Now I am aware of Col. Basilio Gonzales’s life through our history class. I admire him for his bravery in fighting for our freedom against the Spaniards. He is an inspiration.

11 comments:

  1. Great article Mia! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello! may i ask when was this picture taken?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also want to ask if I could use your picture of Col. Gonzales? I could never get a picture of that area without the vendor stalls crowding the statue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I read in your post that you learned about Col. Basilio through your history class. What school did you study from? And what references did your class use? You see, I'm Col. Basilio's great granddaughter and I've been trying to gather print outs or books about him.

    P.S.
    Col. Basilio's last name is spelled as "Gonzalez." It ends with a 'z' and not an 's.' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ms./Mrs. Good day! I am so interested with Col. Gonzalez, and I am looking for someone whom I can with about him. Can we at talk about this interesting person? I am so into history and I want to know him more. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. You're not only beautiful, you're also awesome! I'm a history buff myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Good day, Ms./Mr. I am also interested with Col. Basilio Barroma Gonzalez. I am looking for someone whom I can talk more about him. Can we talk about this interesting person?

    ReplyDelete